- Squarespace is a website builder. WordPress is a content management system. With Squarespace all of the security, plug-ins, and integrations are set-up and ready to use. With WordPress, a developer has complete control and greater flexibility, but it also requires that they know how to code in order to make customisations.
- Squarespace manages and requires you to have a hosting account with them. WordPress is an open-source platform that allows you to host your site wherever you want. Most of my clients’ WordPress sites are hosted with Sitehost, a NZ company.
- Design and customisations: Both offer front-end design options meaning you can see you changes in realtime. They are both very flexible however Squarespace has design and layout limitations that can frustrate some people.Wordpress is pretty much limitless in its flexibility.
- Apps and Plug-ins: Both options have a wide range of apps and plug-ins available however since WordPress is an open-source platform, it has a continually growing library. Both have free and fee-based options. Being open-source, WordPress plug-ins are not always managed properly and can cause issues and security risks on websites. This is not an issue with Squarespace.
- Search engine optimisation (SEO): Both offer SEO options however WordPress is more customisable.
- Ecommerce: Ecommerce is a native feature of Squarespace on the Business and Commerce plans. WordPress requires an external plug-in like WooCommerce. Woocommerce is far more extensible and complex than Squarespace and is best for larger sites.
- Ongoing maintenance: All updates with Squarespace are automatic. WordPress requires regular (monthly) manual updates for the platform, plug-ins and templates.
- Security: Security is built into Squarespace. WordPress requires a security plug-in which will need to be maintained. SSL (security certificates) are included with Squarespace. An external SSL certificate will need to be installed on the WordPress sites.
- Your domain name. If you don't have one, I can secure one for you.
- Text for all pages. If you need a copywriter, please let me know before we begin the project.
- Images for all pages. If you don't have any or need more, I can help you with that.
Website hosting is the place where your website lives.
With Squarespace sites, Squarespace is your website host. The service is included in your plan. See the Business and Commerce plans. Pricing on Squarespace is in USD.
With WordPress sites, you'll need to secure your own hosting. Karebou Web Design provides hosting or you may choose to use another host and pay an additional site transfer fee.
With Karebou, hosting is $25 per month. If you wish to pay annually the price is $275 so you receive a FREE month of hosting!
I can secure a domain name on your behalf or I can refer you to a couple of domain registrars.
With Squarespace you will receive a free domain name for a year on the Business and Commerce plans. See the plans
Blog posts can be added to your site, sometimes with no additional fee. Let's talk about your requirements.
Yes! I can design a new logo or redesign your current one. Logo design is $500 with 2 rounds of revisions.
There are a couple of options which largely depend on your budget and time frame. I can either direct you to some excellent stock photo libraries or I can recommend a fantastic photographer.
If you need some help with your content, I can recommend an excellent copywriter.
A 50% deposit is required for the project to commence. The final payment is due before the website goes live. For projects that take more than 4 weeks, invoices will be sent on the 5th of each month and are due by the 20th of the month. Please note that late payments will bring a halt to the project.
I accept cash or direct deposit for payments. Credit cards are accepted on request through Paypal, but will incur an additional administrative fee.
Thankfully my clients have been happy with their websites. If however, we have reached the end of the project time frame and you are not happy, I will work you to resolve any issues at my regular hourly rate.
Absolutely. I manage a number of websites and can set up a plan and schedule to meet your needs.